I’ve mentioned before that I’m from California. Napa, CA to be exact. In Texas we get four to six weeks of beautiful bluebonnet season. In California we would have months of poppies, and I loved it.
This year I am growing poppies in my flower garden. I chose three kinds, Mother-of-Pearl, Shirley, and Ballerina. The Mother-of-Pearl are gorgeous, delicate, and antique looking. The Shirley are bold and cheerful and the Ballerina are graceful and majestic.
As I was researching this article, I learned that the poppy is a flower used to show remembrance for soldier’s that have died in battle. I think they make a fitting tribute.
Poppies have been used for centuries as a medicinal plant. Of course, we now know that they contain
morphine and codeine, both of which are used to relieve pain. Mythbusters did a story about whether or not your drug test would be positive if you ate a bagel with poppy seeds on it. It turns out that you can, in fact, get a positive for opiates if you eat poppy seeds prior to your drug test. Something to consider next time you apply for a job.
My favorite way to enjoy poppies, aside from my yard, is poppy seed cake and poppy seed chicken. I’m sharing these recipes with you.
Have a paisley poppy day!~KeriAnne
Poppy Seed Cake
Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a small bowl, soak poppy seeds in milk for 30 minutes. Place egg whites in a bowl and allow to set at room temperature for 30 minutes (while your seeds are soaking)
- In another bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Carefully beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternating with poppy seed mixture.
- Whip egg whites until soft peaks form
- Carefully fold beaten egg whites into batter
- Pour into greased/floured 13″ x 9″ cake pan
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Cool on a wire rack
Poppy Seed Chicken
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 31 round buttery crackers, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients. Spoon mixture into lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
- 2. Stir together cracker crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle evenly over casserole.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.